Monday, February 15, 2010

Dental marketing

I don't like going to the dentist. But I have to. Again. Not just the 6 month cleaning either. On this last trip, I broke off part of a tooth while eating a salad! My teeth aren't really that bad, the culprit was an overly hard crouton. Which is only marginally better when I really think about it.

I went in today dreading these words: "root canal", but praying for only these words: "a crown". So, I've been thinking that dentists are really hampered by the phrase "root canal." This alone is a phrase that makes you want to run. It sounds very painful. (i.e. digging a large hole pathway through or into the root of your tooth. whatever, I don't really even want to know.) Especially next to "crown". Oh yes, I'd like a couple of crowns, please. It almost sounds downright Christian, like I should want crowns. This is HUGE marketing issue for dentists.

Surely they could come up with something else. Especially for those of us who think in exaggerated pictures. Which is increasing all the time in a media culture.

By the way, my appointment outcome: its going to be "a crown." YES! There will be no root canal. YES Again! Tiger fist pump. Oops, probably out of fashion for awhile.

1 comment:

Tim Dougherty said...

You sound like you might be anti-dentite?