Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Streak is alive

A few months ago, I realized I had an unusual streak going. Last December I got several gifts of coffee. Then, on some United flights I took, they were giving free small bags of Starbucks coffee around Christmas. Suddenly, I had momentum going in my favor. Throughout the year, I just continued to receive coffee or coffee gift cards at various times, unasked for. Result: I've had free coffee at home since the middle of last December. It's coming up on almost one year. I was coming to the end of the glorious run this week when Kim, my loving and non-caffeinated wife, stepped in to keep The Streak alive. She dished off to me a gift card she had been given, laying it all on the line for me. A great use of the re-gifting principle.

Some would argue this was technically breaking the streak, because she knew about it. I think it stays on, because this was of her own free will. Others would just argue that my life has become very boring to even bring this up.

I'm taking it as symbolic of my undeserved provision from God for my daily needs, each morning as I sit down and start the day with the proverbial "cup a joe".

1 comment:

Andy McCullough said...

The bigger question is did you claim all those gift cards as extra income.