Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Dinner with the Coach

Its great when you get back together with friends you don't see very often. "Coach" Donny Wilcox is one of those guys that you drop what you're doing to grab a few hours with, and since he was in Orlando, that's just what Kim and I did. I haven't known Coach my whole life, but it seems like I have. We met while serving as WSN Regional Directors together, about 11 years ago. We've pretty much laughed at life and each other all over the world. He's working with Leadership Network now, connecting churches filled with Boomers, helping them figure out how to unlock their all too often buried potential. Exactly what you would expect of a great coach.

Coach Donny is one of those too rare kind of leaders: honest and authentic; humble, not preoccupied with himself or a need to lead or be noticed, but not afraid to step up when he sees the ship getting off course. I frequently saw him elevate scores of fellow staff members, including myself, to do things he could do better. He always said something like, "Ah, you'd do this alot better than me." His belief in you as a leader and his penchant for great storytelling made him the kind of guy you want to hang with. Plus, he was a pretty good quarterback and baseball player back in the day. Thanks for dropping by, Coach.

No comments: