Monday, June 25, 2007

Discipleship makes a difference

Following Jesus is a step by step decision. That is what it means to be a disciple. Often the difference it makes is so subtle, so daily, you never notice until you look up after a year and the changes are more distinct. You look at your life and can see where you are after hundreds and thousands of daily steps with the Savior.
When Kim was a college student, she embarked on that journey. She took a step of faith to spend a few hours a week with some girls in the sorority system at Mizzou (that’s University of Missouri for the uninitiated.) One of the girls she met with was Sharon, who wanted to share her faith, and Kim just took a step to help her. Sharon meets a guy named Mark, who says he’s a Christian. She invites him to a CCC meeting on campus, and Mark meets a whole bunch of really fun people who are Christians. Mark figures out along the way he doesn’t know Christ the way these folks do, and commits his life to Christ. Fast forward about 25 years…
I am working on the Mission program in planning CM2007. I’ve got a team that is spread out all over the world, including the new Campus Ministry Director in Eastern Europe. I don’t know him well, but we are getting to know each other. (Do you know what’s coming?) He is in Orlando last week on his return back to the US for a few months this summer. He drops by so we can put the finishing touches on the Missions Program. We talk more about our past. Turns out, this new friend, Mark Sanders, is a graduate of Mizzou. And the story of him being invited to CCC meetings, and becoming a Christian, and that he is some of the “fruit” of Kim’s ministry in college all rolls out.
And so, you just never know what will happen when you make a decision to take a step of faith and follow Christ. Where are you headed? Who are you following? What will your story be?

My next post comes from Busan. 5 days to CM2007.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Global Road said...

Um, Rodrigo. I don't speak spanish, but I've done great hand signals in over 20 countries. so I'll have to get back to you.

Anonymous said...

Keith, My name is Debra Brady and I assist Steve Douglass. I am enjoying reading your blog and others on the CM site. I chose to comment here because I currently have a niece at Mizzou and also know Mark Sanders from when he was here at Lake Hart a few years ago, so I enjoyed reading about Kim, Sharon and Mark. I think my niece is like Mark was, thinks she is a Christian. I wonder if there is staff woman or student who would connect with her. Thank you for sharing the CM experience with those of us who aren't able to be there.