Saturday, April 7, 2007

The Suffering Servant

Yesterday we met as a National Campus Leadership Team, and I was reading aloud Isaiah 52:13-53, best known as the Suffering Servant passage. As I read, I had memories of when Kim and I lived in Philadelphia and attended 10th Presbyterian Church, and this was frequently read as communion was served, as well as at each Good Friday service. It draws one in to ever increasing degree, as the majesty and humility of Jesus’ death is foretold. I noticed it again yesterday. The room went from quiet to quieter to “could hear a pin drop” as the passage unfolds. Somehow it seems to increase in power with even a small audience.

By the time I finished, I was in tears, just barely choking out the final phrases. What He has done for us is described, yet is indescribable. You realize you are tasting a bit of the fullness of what transpired as God has reached out to claim us as His own. That God would die for His creation is so unthinkable, unimaginable. The torturous cruelty makes it even more so. And yet, we experience this grace, His grace, each day. And “he will sprinkle many nations” with His sacrifice of body and blood.

And tomorrow, it culminates with the Empty Tomb. Resurrection. Life. Freedom. Hope.

1 comment:

Christian said...

Ooooh I attended 10th Presbyterian Church once! My hs senior year (1997) with my then girlfriend Susanah Laramee!!! Anyways... Indeed, we praise the Lord for the death and resurrection of His Son! My Easter was great... hope urs was too!